A statement that can be often heard when speaking of 2d shooters – “It cannot compare to 3D titles gameplay”. For today, we like or not, it’s a pretty much correct. However, can we assume that 2D multiplayer shooter games market is/have ever been at it’s best? NO. A couple of good titles have came out (I say a couple but anything signifcant that I can really think of is soldat) have come out over the years. The titles, that people would play because they are fun to play over the internet with friends AND they do enable people to play at a competitive level.
Since we have desired to fill this gap for a very long time now, we’ve finally found a way. It’s called warp speed, it has no storyline, no tons of gore, and it’s being created for only one reason – to become the greatest and the most playable 2D multiplayer shooter game to have ever been created.
Enough talking, let’s get straight to the point.
Now, if after watching this piece You can FEEL what’s coming, we’re done. Whatever I write here about the process of getting to that concept, and how it’s in very alpha stage and that the video only shows the movement idea, You are our fan already and You are waiting for more. If You don’t, well, then it means that either You are not into 2D shooters/high paced games or… I don’t really know… Perhaps you can share with your thoughts in the comments.
The main goals in short:
- fast paced game (no hiding, no sniper rifle, no lying in the bushes, no headshots made with every shitty weapon available)
- easy to learn to anybody (you don’t need 10 additional buttons for grenades, prone state, flying, throwing rope and whatever)
- enabling competitive playing (the game basics are easy to learn but the gameplay depth will actually make it possible to master it endlessly)
- gameplay gameplay gameplay that will make You addicted
- visuals that will make You addicted, too
- around 5-10 different weapons (so far we settled on 7)
- elastic physics enabling the player to move around te level faster when he gets the idea of movement mechanics
- no elevators, jumppads (at least the traditional ones), ladders and such
- platform for the competitive playing
Isn’t it confusing to move around? No. Okay, it is, a little bit, in the begining. Once you get the idea, You can get to every corner of the map easily. What does it mean for a 2D game? It’s not a 2D game anymore. As for the turning control You basically have two additional buttons to manage – bending forward/backward – their idea is really easy to grasp.
It looks pretty ugly for now, I was supposed to write here something about the textures I’ve made so far but I don’t really see the point in making this entry any longer by spamming some screens and writing description of them right now, so I’ll leave it for now and make a separate post later.
What’s the problem behind this great idea? We’re not developing it right now as we were forced to freeze the project in the end of january 2009 for the sake of a few other things. We are doing some webdesign stuff and generally trying to stay above the surface atm, so yeah, it’s hard to develop warpspeed at the same time. On the other hand, it’s a shame to put it away, too. Anyway, we hope to restart the works around june/juli so sit back, relax and be patient just for now.
Any of Your feedback will be greatly appreciated so if You like/dislike anything about this idea, let us know, we’d like to hear from you.