I have been fascinated by the old school id tech engines (DooM, Quake 1) and always wanted to make something similar in spirit for that age. Even i didn’t know anything about 3d graphics at that time i sat down 3 years ago (yeah, shit takes time) and started crafting my doom-quake love hybrid.
I wondered how would tech between DooM and Quake 1 looked like? Something like a mixture of low screen resolution (fuck yeah chunky pixels!), limited color palette, sector based levels (much more advanced system compared to DooM), billboard sprites mixed with 3d models? I guess that’s my general guideline.
O yeah, also decided to throw in physics engine and some other goodies never seen in these two games, just to add more flavor.
not sure yet how it’s gonna workout, but i’m having fun coding this bad boy. That’s all that matters in the end, right?
- basic cross-platform framework
- fixed point math library
- terrain rendering
- sector based level structure with portal rendering
- level editor
- physics engine (soft and rigid bodies)
- entity component system (scriptable)
- steering behaviors
- vehicle physics (in progress)
- procedural locomotion/animation system(in progress)